Tuesday, June 14, 2011

My First Bento!

In an effort to eat more healthily, use more left-overs, pack food more efficiently, and in general be kinda nifty, I've decided I'm going to try making bento boxes for lunches! This first one was for Curtis to take with him to work.


I am ridiculously pleased with myself.

Rice balls
- white rice (left over from dinner)
- chicken teriyaki (left over from dinner)
- sprinkled with goma sio
To make the rice balls, I got my hands wet and scooped up some rice into my left hand. With my right hand, I pushed in some of the left over chicken teriyaki (cut up into little pieces) into the rice. Then I tried to fold the rice around the chicken teriyaki, but ended up having to pick up more rice with my right hand and kinda smoosh it on. Then I rolled it around in my hands (keeping my hands wet really helped keep the rice from sticking) until it was smooth and none of the chicken poked out. Then I sprinkled the goma sio (black sesame seeds and salt) over the top of the rice ball.

Veggies
- snap peas
- carrots
- grape tomatoes (which, I have been informed, are gross)

Interested in bentos? Check out http://justbento.com

No comments:

Post a Comment